Today, let’s just take out to time to talk about the “abc”of Butter-cream icing. There are so many inquires about this topic, I thought I will be nice to just set the records straight.
First, basic Butter-cream is not the same as Swiss meringue butter-cream.
Swiss meringue butter-cream is very silky, smooth, light and delicious, it is made out of sugar, egg whites and butter, but it is very temperature sensitive and has to be stored in the fridge. Basic butter-cream however consists of just 2 main ingredients which are Butter or margarine and icing Sugar.
Our Basic butter-cream recipe is stable in room temperature without going off depending on whether you use water or milk in it.
So what’s the trick for stability? Now using half Shortening along side with the butter is recommened.
Shortening is vegetable fat but when used alone, can be very chunky in the mouth quite grainy and not very flavorful, but when combined with butter gives a fantastic blend, getting the best of both, making it richer in taste and very stable to use.
Go the recipe table below to get the full instructions.
Creaming is very important so you want to mix the Shortening and Butter very well until it’s pale looking and almost doubles in size.
Next is to add in the sifted icing sugar bit by bit and on low speed.
Once it’s all combined, add your flavoring and water or milk, then crank up the speed of your mixer to medium high and let it go of about 1o more minutes.
Compare the image above with the one here to see the look we are going for.
and that’s it. Use immediately or store in room temperature covered airtight for up to 2 weeks only if you have just added water. If stored, make sure you rewhip in the mixer totally again for another 10mins.
Things to note when working with Butter-cream
- As will all things, use good quality ingredients
- If you like, you can add a pinch of salt to bring down the sweetness if you have used unsalted butter. Skip this totally if you have used salted butter
- Adding Water instead of milk will allow the butter-cream stay in room temperature without going off for a while
- Do not place your finished cake decorated with this butter-cream in the fridge. If you do, condensation will take place and ruin the cake design. Leave boxed in room temperature
- Have fun with your designs, color, airbrush or paint the surface of your buttercream once dry to the touch
- You can also use edible frosting sheets over your butter-cream design to add a more unique finish
Basic Butter-cream Recipe
Great taste simple butter-cream recipe that's not temperamental. Super easy to make and taste great.
- 200 g Unsalted butter (Softened)
- 200 g Shortening
- 1 kg Icing Sugar (Sifted)
- 1/4 tsp salt (Optional)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tbsp Water or Milk (Optional)
Measure out your ingredients
Place the shortening into your mixing bowl and allow it to cream for about 5 mins
Add the butter and cream together for another 5 mins
Reduce the speed of your mixer and pour in bit by bit the already sifted Icing sugar
Allow to mix until the icing sugar is combined
Add flavoring and Crank up the speed to medium high and let it go for about 10 more minutes